Coming Soon to Netflix: June 2020
Forget about the Korean dramas exploding onto Netflix in June, I am excited about the Japanese anime series Cardcaptor Sakura! Thanks to one of my college besties Miss Chani-chan, I have read the manga and seen all of the anime. LOVE this series. This is a CLAMP title I can get behind. Well…I do like XXXholic, too, even with its ending.
What are you looking forward to for the June release of Asian dramas, movies, and anime on Netflix? I don’t dislike Chinese or Korean dramas by any means, but I get super excited when I see Japanese dramas coming to Netflix or other streaming platforms, so I am looking forward to that.
- Cardcaptor Sakura multiple seasons [Japan, 1998-2000] – Based on a manga series of the same name, this series follows an elementary student in Japan who discovers magical powers after accidentally freeing a set of magical cards in to the world.
- Dear My Friends [South Korea, 2016] – A group of aging friends rediscover themselves through love and family.
- Midnight Diner multiple seasons [Japan, 2009-19] – This drama franchise has spanned 10 years! A scarred man operating a midnight diner in the backstreets of Shinjuku helps deals with his customers problems.
- My Shy Boss [South Korea, 2017] – An introverts life is thrown into chaos when his company hires a cheery extrovert who is not what she seems.
- Revolutionary Love [South Korea, 2017] – Choi Si Won plays a third generation chaebol whose eyes are opened to the struggles of the working class when he falls in love. This inspires him to make a difference.
- Baki Part 3 [Japan, 2018] – Baki’s training to surpass his father continues as violent death row inmates continue to take him on.
- Pokemon: Journeys Part 1  – The 23rd season of this iconic series follows Ash as he leaves Alola behind to journey the world with his new friend Goh.
- A Whisker Away [Japan, 2020] – When a girl transforms into a cat to catch her crush’s attention, the line between human and animal soon begins to blur.