Coming Soon to Netflix: June 2020
Forget about the Korean dramas exploding onto Netflix in June, I am excited about the Japanese anime series Cardcaptor Sakura! Thanks to one of my college besties Miss Chani-chan, I have read the manga and seen all of the anime. LOVE this series. This is a CLAMP title I can get behind. Well…I do like XXXholic, too, even with its ending.
What are you looking forward to for the June release of Asian dramas, movies, and anime on Netflix? I don’t dislike Chinese or Korean dramas by any means, but I get super excited when I see Japanese dramas coming to Netflix or other streaming platforms, so I am looking forward to that.
- Cardcaptor Sakura multiple seasons [Japan, 1998-2000] – Based on a manga series of the same name, this series follows an elementary student in Japan who discovers magical powers after accidentally freeing a set of magical cards in to the world.
- Mirai [Japan, 2018] – This film follows 4-year-old Kun who is unhappy after his new baby sister displaces him.
- Dear My Friends [South Korea, 2016] – A group of aging friends rediscover themselves through love and family.
- Midnight Diner multiple seasons [Japan, 2009-19] – This drama franchise has spanned 10 years! A scarred man operating a midnight diner in the backstreets of Shinjuku helps deals with his customers problems.
- My Shy Boss [South Korea, 2017] – An introverts life is thrown into chaos when his company hires a cheery extrovert who is not what she seems.
- Revolutionary Love [South Korea, 2017] – Choi Si Won plays a third generation chaebol whose eyes are opened to the struggles of the working class when he falls in love. This inspires him to make a difference.
- Baki Part 3 [Japan, 2018] – Baki’s training to surpass his father continues as violent death row inmates continue to take him on.
- Choked: Paisa Bolta Hai [India, 2020] – A bank employee finds a secret source of seemingly unlimited cash in her home.
- Forensic [India, 2020] – A pair of officers with a history must navigate clues from the past, false, leads, and a ticking clock to stop a serial killer who targets young girls.
- My Mister [South Korea, 2018] – IU and Lee Sun Kyun star as two coworkers who form an unlikely bond in the crazy happenings of theri lives.
- The Witch Part 1: The Subversion [South Korea, 2018] – A high school student finds her life turned upside down when a group of strangers arrive and wreak havoc.
- Axone [India, 2019] – Friends from Northeast India prepare a pungent delicacy for a wedding party, sparking conflict and comedy with their unaccustomed neighbors.
- Okko’s Inn [Japan, 2018] – This animated film follows a young girl who learns about grief and healing from a friendly ghost who lives in her grandmother’s traditional inn.
- One Piece multiple seasons [Japan, 1999-2019] – Popular manga turned anime season starts streaming! Monkey D. Luff and his crew of Straw Hat Pirates seek to find the treasure One Piece and become the new king of pirates.
- Pokemon: Journeys Part 1  – The 23rd season of this iconic series follows Ash as he leaves Alola behind to journey the world with his new friend Goh.
- Milea: Suara dar Dilan [Indonesia, 2020] – Now an adult, Dilan tells his version of his romance with Milea when they are reunited at a high school reunion.
- Wira [Malaysia, 2019] – A former army lieutenant must return home and enter an underground MMA match to take on a local mobster and protext his family.
- Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma Season 1 [Japan, 2015] – Based on a manga, this series follows Young Chef Soma as he enters the prestigious Totsuki Culinary Academy.
- A Whisker Away [Japan, 2020] – When a girl transforms into a cat to catch her crush’s attention, the line between human and animal soon begins to blur.
- It’s Okay to Not Be Okay [South Korea, 2020] – Kim Soo Hyun returns to the small screen in this drama which follows an antisocial children’s book writer who crosses path with a selfless psych ward caretaker.
- Chaman Bahaar [India, 2020] – Business booms for a store owner when his shop becomes a hub for local men interested in his new neighbor whom he also harbors feelings for.
- Lola Igna [Philippines, 2019] – An elderly woman’s life is turned upside down when her family and village realizes she has a chance of getting the world record for being the oldest grandmother alive.
- One Take [Thailand, 2020] – This documentary follows the ups and downs of Thai girl group BNK48 as they prepare for the 6th Single Senbatsu General Election.
- Kappela [India, 2020] – A woman’s phone romance with a rickshaw driver is derailed when she visits the driver’s city and encounters a stranger.
- Bulbbul [India, 2020] – An enigmatic woman who was a child bride, presides over her household harboring a painful past as supernatural murders of men begin to plague her village.
- Krishna and His Leela [India, 2020] – A man finds himself caught in a web of cheating and lies as his heart is torn between past and present girlfriends.
- Vivah [India, 2006] – A young couple whose marriage was arranged finds their budding love tested when an accident occurs.
- Ordinary People [Philippines, 2016] – A pair of teenage pickpockets must resort to desperate measures when their one-month-old baby is kidnapped.
- Twogether [South Korea, 2020] – Lee Seung Gi teams up with Taiwanese star Jasper Liu in an unforgettable trip across Asia to connect with fans and local cultures.
- #FriendButMarried 2 [Indonesia, 2020] – Newlywed best friends find their relationship detoured by an unexpected pregancy.
- BNA: Brand New Animal Season 1 [Japan, 2020] – Morphed into a raccoon beastman, Michiru enlists the aid of a wolf beastman to find refuge and answers in Anima-City.