I saw this on Pinterest and was intrigued by the name and after watching the video, while I get where the sushi part comes in, I don’t find it a very apt name for the dish.
I actually don’t own a grill and used an oven. I will definitely make this again, but probably with some alterations to ️cooking time and temperature.
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 pound hamburger
- String cheese
- Barbecue sauce
- Season the hamburger to your tastes. Do be careful not to use a lot of salt or seasonings with a lot of sodium since bacon has a high salt content already.
- Lay out 6-8 pieces of bacon side by side. You will want to overlap the pieces so that you don’t have gaps for your stuffing to leak out.
- Spread and evenly pat your hamburger down leaving half an inch to an inch at the end so burger doesn’t squish out and you can seal the roll.
- You want to grill the roll at 365 over indirect heat. After 25 minutes, glaze the barbecue sauce of your choice on top of the roll. Grill for 10 more minutes and glaze again. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Slice to desired thickness and serve with barbecue sauce.
For an actual Asian flavor, try seasoning the meat with some low sodium soy sauce. You can also use pork belly barbecue recipes, spicy banana catsup, sweet chili sauce, or a sriacha sauce instead of plain old bbq. The video shows rolling the grilled rolls in crushed nacho chips and fried onions. I skipped this step, but I think rolling in toasted sesame seeds would be yummy.
If you want to bake it, put it on a rack on a cookie sheet covered in tin foil to allow the roll to drain & not cook in the grease. You may want to up the temperature to like 400F. Don’t add the barbecue sauce until the bacon on top looks mostly cooked.
omg this is just the best thing I have ever seen! Thank you!